In Memory of
Click on images to view details
Only son of William and Ann Middleton,
Midton of Cults, Kennethmont later at Shanquhar Cottage, Gartly.
William Middleton d 10/3/1926 at Turriff,
age 75. Ann Mitchell d 25/10/1898 at Little Shanquhar, Gartly
age 43. Interred Gartly CY, Headstone
has details of son William age 25.
Willie was born at Backburn, Gartly on 1st June 1893. His father was a gamekeeper. He had an elder sister Lizzie and a younger one Jane.
From Batt Diaries : 241236 Middleton W,
'H' Coy is recorded as sick and listed in Field Ambulance on 3/12/1918.
Obituary : Died at No1 Australian Casualty Clearing Station 8/12/1918, Influenza.
He enlisted at Aberdeen, served France and Flanders. 9th GH was a Pioneers Battalion
He worked for The Great North of Scotland
Railway at Udny Station before enlisting into the 5th Gordons.
|Cemetery:||TOURNAI COMMUNAL CEMETERY ALLIED EXTENSION, Tournai, Hainaut, Belgium|
|IV. E. 7.|
|Tournai Communal Cemetery is located
in the south west district of Tournai itself on the N508, Chaussee
De Douai, a road leading from the R52 Tournai ring road. 900 metres
after leaving the R523 and joining the N508, lies the left hand
turning onto the Chaussee De Willemean. The cemetery is located
at the end of this lane.
|Tournai (Doornik in Flemish), was captured by the German II Corps on the 23rd August, 1914, in spite of the resistance of a French Territorial Brigade, and it remained in German hands until it was entered by the 47th (London) and 74th (Yeomanry) Divisions on the 8th November, 1918. The 51st (or Highland) Casualty Clearing Station came in on the 14th November and remained until the 20th July, 1919. The (Southern) Communal Cemetery, in the Faubourg-St. Martin, was used and extended by the Germans during their occupation. (German sick and wounded were nursed in the "Asile", the British and Allied in the Hopital Notre-Dame.) The earlier German War burials were made in the North corner, the later in the extension to the South-West, and the British burials after the Armistice in the same extension. It was decided later to regroup the German and Allied dead, by nationalities; and part of the German Extension then became the Allied (or Western) Extension. There were brought to it not only British and many Allied dead from the North corner of the cemetery, but also British dead from other cemeteries in a wide area round Tournai. There are now nearly 700, 1914-18 and over 50, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 30 from the 1914-18 War are unidentified. The cemetery covers an area of 3,233 square metres.|