In Memory of
Click on images to view details
Son of James and Elsie Ingram, of Waulkmill Cottage, Insch, Aberdeenshire.
Jas Ingram, Old Toll, Driver RFA. Brother
of John Ingram.
His father was a railway wayman. His
parents Elsie Martin d 18/3/1946 age 86. James C Ingram d
3/1/1949 age 83. Both interred Insch Cemetery.
War & Victory Medals
B Cert : Born Kennethmont 18/12/1897
CWGC records, previously buried at Vaulx Churchyard Extension, map ref 57C.C.26.C.8.5
Divisions had Brigades of artillery in
support and in general the Artillery Brigade consisted of A,
B, C and D Batteries.
The really heavy guns were operated
by The Royal Garrison Artillery.
to the book History of 2nd Div by E Wyrell "During the
night of the 7th a rain of heay shells fell about 99th Infantry
Bde HQ which were in a dugout on the Doignies-Demicourt road.
The brigade transport was passing at the time". Amongst
those killed were Capt R M Vaisey and the brigade mess cook
a Cpl N G Short. As a Driver James Ingram may also have been
killed at this time.
|Cemetery:||VAULX HILL CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France|
|II. H. 2.|
|Location:||Vaulx-Vraucourt is a village in the
Department of the Pas-de-Calais, 6 kilometres north-east of Bapaume.
Vaulx Hill Cemetery is signposted from the village. Take the RD36
direction Lagnicourt up the hill, and the Cemetery can be seen
at the road side 1 kilometre from Vaulx-Vraucourt.
|Historical Information:||Vaulx-Vraucourt village was taken in the spring of 1917, lost (after severe fighting) in March, 1918, and retaken in the following September. Vaulx Hill Cemetery started with just 17 graves of September, 1918 (in Plot I, Rows A and B); the rest of the cemetery was formed after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from other cemeteries and from the battlefields in the immediate neighbourhood. There are now over 850, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly one-third are unidentified and special memorials commemorate 28 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia, known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of three Australian soldiers and one from the United Kingdom, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery covers an area of 2,739 square metres and is enclosed by stone rubble walls. Amoung the burials grounds from which British graves were removed to Vaulx Hill were: CHAFOURS WOOD CEMETERY, Morchies (containing 17 Australian and five United Kingdom graves of 1917). LAGNICOURT AUSTRALIAN CEMETERY (contauining seven Australian graves of 1917 and 27 United Kingdom of September 1918); NEW ZEALAND CEMETERY No. 17, Favreuil (where 22 of the 2nd New Zealand Rifles Brigade were buried in August 1918). SUNKEN ROAD CEMETERY, Beaumetz-Les-Cam-Brai (Containing 23 Australian and five United Kingdom graves of May, 1917). VRAUCOURT CHURCHYARD EXTENSION (across the road from the Church, and containing 185 United Kingdom and seven Australian graves of 1917 and 1918-a GERMAN EXTENSION also has been removed.)|