In Memory of
Click on images to view details
Son of William and Annie Daun, of Brackla Premnay, Insch, Aberdeenshire.
James Daun, Cpl, 6 GH, Leith Hall on Roll of Honour, not listed on War Memorial.
Only Daun in GH, enlisted Huntly, died, served France & Flanders.
PRO 1914/15 Star, War & Victory Medals, France 10/3/1915, a/l/cpl
He did not proceed to France with BEF in Nov 1914, book 6GH in F & F.
He was a farm servant at Leith Hall Home Farm at the outbreak of war. It is known that three farm servants from Leith Hall went to fight in the war - none of them survived.
James fought at The Battle of Loos, 25/9/1915
and during the following five weeks became a patient in one
of the medical facilities in Rouen. It
is known that he died of pericarditis at No 9 General Hospital.
During October 6 GH were in the line south of the La Bassee
Canal near Cambrin or alternating in billets. He may have become
ill here or been affected by gas at Loos.
6 GH War Diary entry.
1/4/1908 The original Volunteer Battalions
was reorganised and the 4th became the 6th Batt ( Territorial
Force) comprising 8 companies centred in the following areas;
4/8/1914 at Keith: Gordon Brigade, Highland
|Cemetery:||ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN, Seine-Maritime, France|
|A. 14. 19.|
St. Sever Cemetery and Extension is situated about 3 kilometres
south of Rouen Cathedral and a short distance west of the road
from Rouen to Elbeuf. Coming from Elbeuf/Caen on the N.138 follow
Avenue Des Canadiens right down to the roundabout. Take fourth
exit into Rue Stanislas De Jardin, and the cemetery lies 150 metres
on the left. If coming from station Rive Gauche, Gare St Sever,
follow Quai D'Elbeuf, Quai Jean Moulin, Quai Cavelier De La Salle
into Avenue Jan Rondeaux, Av. De La Liberation, Bd. Du 11 Novembre
to the roundabout. Take first exit into Rue Stanislas De Jardin,
and the cemetery lies 150 metres on the left. St. Sever is part
of Le Petit Quevilly. The first CWGC signpost is just when you
get to the entrance of the cemetery.
|Historical Information:||During the 1914-18 war British camps and hospitals were placed on the Southern outskirts of the city; a Base Supply Depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were established at Rouen. The Hospitals at Rouen remained there in almost all cases for practically the whole of the war. They included eight General, five Stationary, one British Red Cross and one Native Labour Hospitals and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the dead from these Hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to St. Sever; and in September, 1916, it was found necessary to begin an Extension. There are now over 3,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.|