In Memory of
Click on images to view details
Son of James A.and Jeannie Gordon, of Christkirk,
Pte 6 GH, Seggiecrook on Roll of Honour,
Geo Gordon, Christkirk on War Memorial.
He was born Kennethmont and enlisted at
Insch, killed in action
As a member of "H" Company 6GH (Territorial Batt) Pte George Gordon reported to Company HQ at Huntly following the order to mobilize on 4th August 1914 and proceeded to France with the battalion on 9th November. This qualified him for the 1914 or Mons Star in addition to the British War and Victory Medals. ( Book, 6 GH in F & F)
From memorial card - he was 17 years of
age and died at Festubert.
Huntly Express 18/6/15 : In copy of letter
to his father 2nd Lt D McKenzie, commanding "A" Coy,
states that he knew George well as he was his observer.
Capt D McKenzie MC was greatly involved with and is credited as the author of the book 6th Gordon Highlanders in France and Flanders. It details in full the battalions movements during The Great War. He was later headmaster at Cullen School.
1/4/1908 The original Volunteer Battalions
was reorganised and the 4th became the 6th Batt ( Territorial
Force) comprising 8 companies centred in the following areas;
4/8/1914 at Keith: Gordon Brigade, Highland
|Memorial:||LE TOURET MEMORIAL, Pas de Calais, France|
|Panel 39 to 41|
|Le Touret Memorial is located at the
east end of Le Touret Military Cemetery, on the south side of the
Bethune-Armentieres main road. From Bethune follow the signs for
Armentieres until you are on the D171. Continue on this road through
Essars and Le Touret village. Approximately 1 kilometre after Le
Touret village and about 5 kilometres before you reach the intersection
with the D947, Estaires to La Bassee road, the Cemetery lies on
the right hand side of the road. The Memorial takes the form of
a loggia surrounding an open rectangular court. The court is enclosed
by three solid walls and on the eastern side by a colonnade. East
of the colonnade is a wall and the colonnade and wall are prolonged
northwards (to the road) and southwards, forming a long gallery.
Small pavilions mark the ends of the gallery and the western corners
of the court. The names of those commemorated are listed on panels
set into the walls of the court and the gallery, arranged by Regiment,
Rank and alphabetically by surname within the rank. Over 13,000
names are listed on the memorial of men who fell in this area before
25 September 1915 and who have no known grave.